Friday 9 March 2012

CREAM - My First DJ Set



So it was 1995 I think that I first played at Cream,… I was a huge fan of US Garage and DJs like CJ Mackintosh, The DEF Mix Crew (Morales, Knuckles) and MAW were the dons for me and I was a big collector of anything on black wax that fitted that US groove, so imagine my shock when I was asked to warm up the Annexe for Andy Weatherall… The Annexe at that time was a room for Techno, not the soulful swinging sounds of US Garage and the bumping delights of Tony Humphries inspired New Jersey deep grooves…




Anyway, not one to turn this opportunity down, I went through my records to pick out the chunkiest of beats and toughest of grooves… Todd Terry and DJ Duke productions made the grade, deeper proto progressive cuts from Danny Tenaglia and the legendary Vasquez beats and Morales Red Zone dubs all started finding their space in my impending set… Vocals got cut for a tougher beat driven sound...




So my set was 10 to 12 then Andy was to play till 2am... Andy the gent introduced himself and said he had not seen me play at CREAM before and I explained it was my first set so he said "well you should play till 12.30 then", it was rocking and he could see I was enjoying it so I ended up dropping this (see below) as my last track and the whole room went off, the heat level went up and staggered back off the mini riser in the DJ box and ended up on Weatheralls lap, he then said, "a tad cheesy mate, but it bloody works!' with big grin on his face...




For more CREAM nostalgia click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment